Resident’s Association Meeting – Monday 3 May

17 April 2021

The Committee has been busy. Here’s an update on what’s happening in April and what you need to know about events in our suburb.

Please note there are two consultations being run at present by Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) and the Wellington City Council (WCC). Both consultations relate to the Long Term Plan for Wellington and the greater Wellington region. They are different consultations, but they both affect the future of the city we live in.

Details are below — so take the opportunity to “Have your Say”.

Newsflash – membership meeting

The Island Bay Residents’ Association Committee invites you to the first membership meeting of 2021.

Date: Monday 3 May 2021

Time: 7 pm start — doors open from 6.30 pm

Location: The Island Bay Bowling Club, 276 The Parade, Island Bay

Agenda:

  1. Welcome and introduction
  2. WCC officials present the Long Term Plan followed by questions and answers.

Wellington City Council consultation on the Long-Term Plan is now open

You can see all the information and make a submission online

Consultation opened 6 April and closes 10 May 2021.

The council also hopes to see you at one of the 10-Year Plan question-and-answer expos.

Here is a link to the full community engagement schedule.

Greater Wellington Regional Council consulting on its plans for the next decade

Greater Wellington Regional Council released its 2021-2031 Long Term Plan for public consultation on 2 April, and it’s looking for feedback from the public.

The plan’s budget is significant. Between now and 2031 Greater Wellington will invest around $1.5 billion. Inevitably, this will have to be funded by rates, but they have kept rises as low as possible.

Key items of expenditure include electrifying Metlink buses; rail station infrastructure and upgrades; continued investment in Let’s Get Wellington Moving; developing integrates fares and ticketing solution; RiverLink flood protection; delivering other major flood protection hazard and management programmes; installing and providing regional-scale environment and climate monitoring sites; renewing and upgrading critical drinking water abstraction, treatment and supply network assets; Te Marua Water Treatment Plant Capacity Optimisation; moving the Kaitoke water main on Silverstream Bridge.

The outcome for regional rates in the first year is a rise, on average, per week of $1.25 (incl. GST) for residential ratepayers, $4.78 (excl. GST) for business ratepayers and $1.83 per week (excl. GST) for rural ratepayers.

Consultation on Greater Wellington’s 2021-2031 Long Term Plan runs from 2 April to 2 May 2021. Have Your Say.

Other matters

Anzac Day Service – 25 April to be held at Island Bay School.

Island Bay churches, in conjunction with the RSA, are holding an ANZAC Day service Sunday April 25, 2021 at Island Bay School at 9.30am.

Traffic Resolutions Avon / Clyde Street

Council is considering some changes to traffic restrictions in our area. Attached is a copy of the proposals. Council is happy to receive feedback on them.

This consultation closes 5pm, Friday 16 April 2021.

We expect the council will present the report to the Regulatory Process Committee meeting on Tuesday 18 May 2021 for approval and it will implement the restrictions soon after.

Tie down your trailer when heading to the tip

The irresponsible actions of a driver not securing their load last Friday resulted in thousands of polystyrene balls scattered around the south coast, devastating for the environment and marine life, and frustrating the affected communities.

The Council identified the offender thanks to eagle-eyed locals and have fined him $200.

Don’t let that be you! Load it right, cover it tight.


Please encourage friends and neighbours to join the Residents’ Association by contacting islandbayres@gmail.com

Best wishes from all the committee. We look forward to seeing you at the membership meeting on Monday 3 May.

29 March 2021 Newsletter

Island Bay Residents’ Association Update

The Island Bay Residents’ Association committee met for the first time this year on 20 February to discuss issues and bring the membership up to speed on several matters. We have since held several more committee meetings and we are looking to hold a Membership meeting in April.

Here is some of our news and updates.

New website

We have launched the Residents’ Association website. It’s a place where you can find out all the information about who we are, what we do, why we do it, and how to contact us.

Severn Street watermain project

This project is being managed by Wellington Water on behalf of the WCC.

Vehicle access is restricted between 2 March 2021 — June 2021

The Esplanade / Shorland Park to Foreshore — pedestrian safety improvement and slow zone

Wellington City Council (WCC) is improving safety for pedestrians at the crossing point of Shorland Park to the Island Bay foreshore by creating a slow zone for all road users.

Construction started in early March.

These improvements follow a request by the Island Bay Residents’ Association in 2019 that Council install a zebra crossing at this crossing point. After investigating the site under Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency guidelines, and consulting with the Residents’ Association and community in July 2020, WCC agreed to improve the existing crossing pedestrian refuge and install a slow zone in this area.

The pedestrian crossing safety improvements are:

  • new pedestrian refuge island at the crossing point of Shorland Park to the
  • foreshore
  • new broken yellow lines near the crossing for visible — new white road markings and sharrows
  • Shorland Park Southern Walkway staggered gates

WCC will also install ‘Slow Zone Threshold’ road markings and signs at both ends of the Bay (similar to the slow zones at Moa Point and Breaker Bay).

The slow zone still keeps the 50 km/h speed limit but advises drivers of the change in roadside conditions/activity and the expectation to observe a slower driving speed for the environment.

For more information, visit the WCC website. This includes the layout of the safety improvements.

If you have comments or queries about the safety improvements, please email zackary.moodie@wcc.govt.nz by Friday 26 February 2021.

Shorland Park upgrade begins soon

WCC advises that the design for the play area upgrade is due shortly. The Council says it has been challenging to accommodate feedback and stay within the existing budget.

There have also been some pricing shifts since the design began. WCC will keep us updated.

Beach Cleanup

Forest & Bird Places for Penguins (Wellington Branch) Committee are looking to host a beach clean up from Island Bay to Houghton Bay in April.

They are thinking of holding the event on 17 April, with a start time of 1pm. Places for Penguins would set up a small table in the surf club parking lot to provide gloves and bags for all volunteers.

We’ll keep you posted, but put a circle around 17 April.

WCC Consultation on the Long-Term Plan coming soon

Council is currently preparing the draft 2021-31 Long-Term Plan and will seek your feedback on the plan in April and May 2021.

Consultation opens 6 April and closes 10 May 2021.

WCC is holding a range of community engagement sessions around Wellington to talk about the Long Term Plan. One of these will be in Island Bay, outside New World on Saturday 17 April between 2pm and 5pm. Get along if you can!

Traffic Resolutions Avon / Clyde Street

Council are considering some changes to Traffic Restrictions in your area. Attached is a copy of the proposals. We would be happy to receive feedback on them.

They will advertise the proposed restrictions in The Dominion Post from Thursday 1 April 2021 and consultation closes 5pm, Friday 16 April 2021.

We expect they will present the report to the Regulatory Process Committee meeting on Tuesday 18 May 2021 for approval and they will implement the restrictions soon after.

Other matters

  • Council has confirmed Ara Paekawakawa as the name for a new private Right of Way off the new Freeling / Rhine subdivision.
  • Friends of Taputeranga Marine Reserve are looking for friends and donations – visit the website for details.

Please encourage friends and neighbours to join the Residents’ Association by contacting islandbayres@gmail.com

Best wishes from all the committee. We will be in touch shortly regarding the next meeting and any further updates.

Minutes for IBRA committee meeting-22 March 2021

Apologies:  Lorraine Edwards

Attending guests: MP Paul Eagle, Cr Fleur Fitzsimons (departed 6.50pm) Brian Dawson and Cr Laurie (arrived 7.15pm post meeting)

Agenda Items:

Welcome – Ben

Island Bay Festival feedback – Bruce

Bruce presented the paper he wrote and the intention to not take over The Festival was expressed with an acknowledgement to Joe Bleakley and Peter Frater and other of the great work they have done for the Island Bay Enhancement Trust.

IBRA want to work with The Trust and see this as an opportunity to relook at The Festival and bring in some new ideas or fine tune events.

Mention was made that perhaps The Festival be contained into a one day experience? Possibly run it every 2 years? All food for thought and many ongoing conversations.

It was agreed that Jane make initial contact with Joe Bleakley in the first instance and set up an informal meeting and report back to the committee.

Committee position on Island Bay Cycleway – Bruce & Stephen

Bruce presented his draft IBCW paper and Stephen expressed his opinion that he wished to be shown as not in support of IBRA’s position. Bruce to look at incorporating this into the paper.

Fleur reiterated that Council would be happy to pay for a facilitator to include this matter into the Long Term Plan that is due out for consultation and community feedback and submissions.

Fleur left the meeting (as she had other previously advised) and the conversation continued. 

Robust discussion continued and Jane expressed concern that the Cycleway conversation would be a massive distraction to the LTP conversation and that it should be treated as a separate issue as it was extremely important to get a resolution that worked for the majority of the community. Paul Eagle endorsed and supported this and the committee seemed to be in support.

Explore how we can improve the Island Bay community shops – Ben & Jane

This subject was not really discussed and as Lorraine as business rep was not in attendance Jane pointed out that she wasn’t informed enough to speak on the businesses behalf.

Any other items of business – Ben

There was no time to discuss further business and the meeting was closed at approximately 7.15 pm and Cr Foon arrived as people were leaving.

Thanks again to The Services Club for providing a venue for IBRA to have their committee meeting.

Minutes for IBRA Committee – Monday 15 March 2021

Apologies:  Stephen Day

Reminder of who Committee is and who we represent

Jane reminded the group that we are a group of individuals who volunteer their time and energy to work with Council and other groups as a voice for Island Bay. We may not all agree with each other but that is what democracy is all about.

The committee represents a balanced reflection of Island Bay residents with members ranging in ages from thirties, forties, fifties and sixties.

Ben’s email “Seeking Funding for Meeting Facilitator for Island Bay Community”

This was discussed at length and disappointment that Ben had not included the committee in his decision to approach Council was expressed.

While some could see the merit in involving a facilitator others were dubious. 

It was agreed that a decision to further pursue this idea be followed up in the event that Bens’ request be approved.

Facilitator – Tim Foote of Reframe

It was agreed that the group come back with more names to put on the table before any decision was made. A suggestion to involve the Churches was made as they have been very neutral and active supporters of IBRA and the community in the past. 

Given where the committee is at present, it’s not appropriate that Tim Foote attend the meeting with the Southern Ward Councillors on Monday 22nd

Objectives and agenda for meeting with Crs Fitzsimons and Foon – 22 March 2021

Ben to draw up and agenda and send to the committee for input.

Suggested items were:

Island Bay Festival

Shopping centre

IBRA’s position on IBCW

Membership email and joining IBRA

Email to go out to Membership as is. Appropriate wording to be added to the website to attract new members. Committee to agree to wording.

Submission on behalf of IBRA – Draft Wellington Transport Plan and Public Transport Plan 2021 – individuals to submit

It was agreed not to put in a submission on behalf of IBRA but individuals are encouraged to submit as individuals.

Draft paper IBRA’s position on IBCW – Bruce

Bruce to share this paper with the committee.

General business:

Shetland Society 100 Years Anniversary

Agreed that David and Jane meet with Peter Glensor and report back to the committee. Jane mentioned that Peter had spoken with Nina Cuccurullo and Paul Elenio about doing something either jointly or separately with the Italian community

Public Meeting for Membership and all – proposed date – April / May 2021?

Consultation on the Long-term Plan ex WCC website

We are currently preparing the draft 2021-31 Long-term Plan and we will be seeking your feedback on the plan in April and May 2021. 

Visit the link:   https://www.letstalk.wellington.govt.nz/long-term-plan

Suggested long term Island Bay projects that would benefit the community at large – let’s put our heads together and chat with a range of people!

The shopping area is looking very shabby and rundown and could do with a good tidy / spruce up. Investigate Heritage status on the eastern side shop fronts to see if any funding is available to help building owners. This is something perhaps Crs Foon and Fitzsimmons could help us with? Possible agenda item for March 22nd meeting?

Jane mentioned that ex committee member Yvonne Curtis had passed on an email she’d received from resident Peter Graham suggesting that perhaps IBRA could look into attracting the services of a dentist, optician, lawyer to compliment the great existing service providers operating in the bay.

Minutes of IBRA committee meeting 22nd February

Attendees: Bruce, Ben, Janine, David, Pat, Lorraine and Jane

Apologies:  Stephen and Maria

Agenda:

1. Ara Paekawakawa – name for new private ROW confirmed – off Freeling / Rhine – new subdivision

All those present seemed happy with this decision.

2. Stephens submission to Wellington Council Track Network plan for Te Kopahou Reserve – agree to send?

All agreed to send. Jane to action this. Done and WCC have confirmed receipt.

3. Shetland Society of Wellington Centenary Mural project with WCC

Everybody seemed interested in this potential project and an interest to involve the Italian community was expressed. The committee would like to meet with Peter Glensor of the Shetland Society at the next meeting. It was agreed that it was great the IBRA had been approached so early on in the process.

The concept of plaques / history board was discussed rather than a mural.

Jane to be in touch with Peter Glasnor.

4. Island Bay Festival – Bruce to speak

Bruce spoke on this matter and all agreed that the Festival was poorly advertised and could have been organised managed much better. Communications with affected residents on Avon Street and Reef just didn’t happen. General feedback from both retailers and the public was that it was disappointing. I heard complaints from people running “garage sales” that there was just no advertising.

The committee agree to write a formal letter to our 2 local Councillors to express concern and suggest a way forward.

Bruce will put something in writing and share with us for feedback.

The committee expressed a very keen interest to invite Fleur and Laurie to our next committee meeting. They will need to have a list of our questions so they can come prepared.

Please send all / any questions you have to me so I can make a list that we can all agree to before sending out.

5. Website launch

Everyone agreed that this can now go live. Stephen, can you please action.

 I think we could add some more links – namely Friends of Taputeranga Marine Reserve who are looking for friends and donation.

6. Island Bay Cycleway – Committees position – moving forward 

Bruce is going to work on an agreed media statement (should the committee be asked). He’ll share with the group for feedback.

Important to mention that we are a democratically elected group and some have differing positions – which as part of the democratic process is “healthy”!

7. Email / FB to membership:

Island Bay and Berhampore Community Orchard celebrations event – share on FB due to late notice – this coming weekend

I was in touch with this group today and tickets have sold out – so best not to promote it we decided.

Friends of Taputeranga Marine Reserve looking for friends and donations – share on FB

People happy to post on FB – Jane to learn to post!

Consultation open draft Wellington Transport Plan

Everyone was sent this email today and it needs to go up on FB (and also be part of the email out to membership) with words of encouragement to look at it and make a submission.

Stephen can we work on some wording around this please?

The Esplanade / Shorland Park to Foreshore – Pedestrian Safety Improvement and Slow Zone

Everyone was sent this email and it needs to go on FB and be part of the membership email as it is a positive win for IBRA.

Membership meeting – 22nd March

Matt from WCC Parks and Reserves to speak on work and design around Shorland Park?

Peter Glasnor – Shetland Society?

Everyone agreed to this date and the speakers. Jane to contact the Bowling Club and guest speakers.

See if Fleur and Laurie available to attend – Jane

General Notes:

This urgent information needs to go up on our FB page pronto.  Jane to urgently learn how to post onto FB!!!!!!

Severn Street Watermain Project:

Note:  Restricted Vehicle Access 2 March 2021 – June 2021

https://www.wellingtonwater.co.nz/work-in-your-area/severn-street-watermain-project/

I spoke with Wellington Water today and have asked that they share any further information of works with the Association so we can get it up on FB.

They were very appreciative of the offer.

Next committee meeting proposed:

We need another committee meeting before the Membership meeting on the 22nd March and we will be wanting Fleur and Laurie to attend for a part of it.

I’m just throwing Monday 8th March out there? I’ll email Fleur and Laurie along with Peter Glasnor (Shetland Society) to see if they are available.

Submission on Te Kopahou Draft Network Plan

23 February 2021

TO:

  • Bec Ramsay
  • Open Space and Recreation Manager
  • Wellington City Council

Submission on Te Kopahou Draft Network Plan

Introduction

  1. The Island Bay Residents’ Association democratically represents the views of 7000 Island Bay residents. 
  2. Our constitutional object is to facilitate discussions about the future of Island Bay between residents and the Council. While we do not make decisions on behalf of Island Bay residents we do act as an official representative group to council for receiving and disseminating Council information concerning Island Bay.
  3. Te Kopahou Reserve is one of the largest natural reserves near Island Bay. Many of our residents use the reserve for recreation. The tracks in the reserve link directly to Island Bay through a network of tracks starting at Paekawakawa Reserve, and Manawa Karioi. Both of these link with Tawatawa Reserve and, through that, the Tip Track. 
  4. Te Kopahou Reserve visitors’ centre is also a short and popular coastal walk from Island Bay to Owhiro Bay.

Support for the plan

  1. The Island Bay Residents’ Association supports the city council’s plan to upgrade and enhances the tracks in Te Kopahou Reserve.
  2. We believe the focus on ecologically sustainable tracks will benefit the environment by allowing more people, including trappers, weeders and planters access to the reserve in a managed way.
  3. The improved and extended track networks, with new interpretation signs and facilities, will give South Wellington residents access to an important part of our Māori and colonial history. This will help more people learn about and preserve our history.
  4. According to Sport NZ surveys walking and biking are two of the most popular forms of exercise for New Zealanders. Providing more local and accessible tracks and trails for people will benefit their physical and mental health.
  5. Developing this network of outdoor recreation opportunities means that South Wellington residents have a large natural outdoor facility that matches the large parks available to northern city residents and Hutt Valley residents through the East Harbour, and Belmont Regional Parks and Remutaka Forest Park 
  6. Upgrading the tracks will make them safer for the older members of our community who are also keen to walk these tracks. 
  7. We are excited by the proposal to construct a hut so that trampers, including families and community groups, can experience multi-day outdoor adventures in South Wellington. 
  8. The new Tip Track Trailhead will be an easily accessible local biking option for Island bay residents which they can reach without biking or driving across the city to more distant mountain biking facilities. 
  9. We also are that well-constructed cycle and walking trails can help local economic development. We welcome the potential business opportunities for South Wellington locals that could eventuate from supplying bike services, food and accommodation to visitors to the reserve. 

Conclusion

  1. We support Te Kopahou Draft Track Network Plan. We believe the proposed tracks will provide more opportunities and a better experience for island Bay residents. 

We are happy to talk in support of our submission. Our chairperson is Ben Everist and you can contact us at islandbayres@gmail.com.

Committee report – A new chapter – November 2020

The newly elected Island Bay Residents’ Association committee met for the first time on Monday this week.

It was great to discover that we are a good mix of long term residents and
newbies to the Bay and that together we have a wide range of skills, experiences and ideas we can put to good use for our community.

We’re also keen to build on these strengths and we welcome the involvement of other people in the association too. If you have something you want to bring, an issue you want raised, or and idea for the Bay please let us know. Meanwhile, we will continue to work with the local businesses, community groups and residents to support the great work everyone is doing.

The Residents Association has been involved in some big issues in recent years and we don’t want to lose sight of those issues. However, we’re also keen to pick up on new issues that we have not had a chance to work on in the past.

The Residents Association is a voluntary organisation. So, we want to thank the outgoing committee for their tireless work and our membership who have been so generous, both financially and with their valuable time, in their ongoing support.

The newly elected committee has Ben Everist as its chair, Jane Byrne as secretary and Maria Buchanan as treasurer. We’re also looking at developing new portfolios so we can continue to give the association fresh momentum.

If you want to contact us please do at islandbayres@gmail.com

Follow up from the AGM

Several people left the recent AGM uncertain after voting on two notices. At that meeting, people asked the incoming committee to review those matters and come back to the membership with a plan

We discussed both notices at our first committee meeting and also the process for debating and voting. We didn’t have time to cover the technical details but have resolved to present a plan to the membership at our first meeting in 2021.

We’ve appointed Bruce Gadd to look into this and we will again discuss the matter at our next committee meeting in a couple of weeks.

%d bloggers like this: