Minutes of IBRA committee meeting 22nd February

Attendees: Bruce, Ben, Janine, David, Pat, Lorraine and Jane

Apologies:  Stephen and Maria


1. Ara Paekawakawa – name for new private ROW confirmed – off Freeling / Rhine – new subdivision

All those present seemed happy with this decision.

2. Stephens submission to Wellington Council Track Network plan for Te Kopahou Reserve – agree to send?

All agreed to send. Jane to action this. Done and WCC have confirmed receipt.

3. Shetland Society of Wellington Centenary Mural project with WCC

Everybody seemed interested in this potential project and an interest to involve the Italian community was expressed. The committee would like to meet with Peter Glensor of the Shetland Society at the next meeting. It was agreed that it was great the IBRA had been approached so early on in the process.

The concept of plaques / history board was discussed rather than a mural.

Jane to be in touch with Peter Glasnor.

4. Island Bay Festival – Bruce to speak

Bruce spoke on this matter and all agreed that the Festival was poorly advertised and could have been organised managed much better. Communications with affected residents on Avon Street and Reef just didn’t happen. General feedback from both retailers and the public was that it was disappointing. I heard complaints from people running “garage sales” that there was just no advertising.

The committee agree to write a formal letter to our 2 local Councillors to express concern and suggest a way forward.

Bruce will put something in writing and share with us for feedback.

The committee expressed a very keen interest to invite Fleur and Laurie to our next committee meeting. They will need to have a list of our questions so they can come prepared.

Please send all / any questions you have to me so I can make a list that we can all agree to before sending out.

5. Website launch

Everyone agreed that this can now go live. Stephen, can you please action.

 I think we could add some more links – namely Friends of Taputeranga Marine Reserve who are looking for friends and donation.

6. Island Bay Cycleway – Committees position – moving forward 

Bruce is going to work on an agreed media statement (should the committee be asked). He’ll share with the group for feedback.

Important to mention that we are a democratically elected group and some have differing positions – which as part of the democratic process is “healthy”!

7. Email / FB to membership:

Island Bay and Berhampore Community Orchard celebrations event – share on FB due to late notice – this coming weekend

I was in touch with this group today and tickets have sold out – so best not to promote it we decided.

Friends of Taputeranga Marine Reserve looking for friends and donations – share on FB

People happy to post on FB – Jane to learn to post!

Consultation open draft Wellington Transport Plan

Everyone was sent this email today and it needs to go up on FB (and also be part of the email out to membership) with words of encouragement to look at it and make a submission.

Stephen can we work on some wording around this please?

The Esplanade / Shorland Park to Foreshore – Pedestrian Safety Improvement and Slow Zone

Everyone was sent this email and it needs to go on FB and be part of the membership email as it is a positive win for IBRA.

Membership meeting – 22nd March

Matt from WCC Parks and Reserves to speak on work and design around Shorland Park?

Peter Glasnor – Shetland Society?

Everyone agreed to this date and the speakers. Jane to contact the Bowling Club and guest speakers.

See if Fleur and Laurie available to attend – Jane

General Notes:

This urgent information needs to go up on our FB page pronto.  Jane to urgently learn how to post onto FB!!!!!!

Severn Street Watermain Project:

Note:  Restricted Vehicle Access 2 March 2021 – June 2021


I spoke with Wellington Water today and have asked that they share any further information of works with the Association so we can get it up on FB.

They were very appreciative of the offer.

Next committee meeting proposed:

We need another committee meeting before the Membership meeting on the 22nd March and we will be wanting Fleur and Laurie to attend for a part of it.

I’m just throwing Monday 8th March out there? I’ll email Fleur and Laurie along with Peter Glasnor (Shetland Society) to see if they are available.

%d bloggers like this: